Lesson Part 1
1. What the subjunctive mood is.
2. When to use it.
4. How to form it.
1. What the French Subjunctive is
The subjunctive is a mood expressing:
1. A doubt
2. A wish
3. An obligation, a will
4. Subjectivity (things you are the only one to think)
The construction is always after the small word: que
The name Subjunctive (linked under) have a little to do with the modern meaning.
2. When to use it
When a verb expresses one of this point, it is highly likely that it will be followed with the subjunctive mood
J’aimerais que tu viennes: I would like you come
J’aimerais is a wish and viennes is the subjunctive form of venir and the expression is J’aimerais que.
– First, be sure that a lot of people in France make mistakes using this mood!
– There are 4 tenses in this mood but two are really used the present tense and the past tense, the other ones nearly disappeared!
Read moreSubjunctive in French – Part 1